The writing center hires students to work as front-desk receptionists who have received work study funding in their financial aid package. The following job description lists the basic duties associated with this position. If you receive work study funds and feel you meet the qualifications to work as a receptionist, we encourage you to apply; but you must apply through the Handshake website. Contact Student Financial Services for more information.
Receptionist Position Description
Nature of Job:
Under immediate supervision, serves as initial office contact for students, faculty, staff, etc. Answers routine questions and provides information both orally and in writing (e-mail). The principal emphasis is on providing customer service, inputting accurate data in on-line system, and performing some light clerical duties.
Examples of Work:
The following are typical examples of work:
· Receives and greets clients and visitors; answers general questions, refers specific inquiries to Assistant Director, Associate Director, or Office Supervisor;
· Dispenses information such as brochures and handouts to visitors and clients;
· Assists clients with scheduling and confirming appointments;
· Answers phone with appropriate greeting, takes messages or refers calls to the appropriate person;
· Inputs accurate data into the on-line scheduling system;
· May type labels, envelopes, etc.;
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
Experience and Abilities:
Requires knowledge of basic office practices and telephone etiquette, basic computer skills, and the ability to communicate effectively and interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
The EXAMPLES OF WORK are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties assigned to this position.