Teaching online is new to a lot of us. It can be challenging. To help UD faculty who are teaching online and could just use an assistant to help with logistics like taking attendance, monitoring students' questions via chat, and moving folks in and out of breakout rooms, the Writing Center is offering Online Classroom Assistants.
Online Classroom Assistants are the Writing Center's Office Assistants, who usually greet students at the front desk, help with appointment making, and generally keep us running smoothly. Since all writing center operations are online for 2020-21 (which means no front desk), our OAs are available to help you out!
This service is a great option for a professor who is not looking for writing support for students, but who just wants a hand with the logistical complexities of online teaching and learning. An Online Classroom Assistant would be available to you during your class time every week to do things like:
- Take attendance
- Let in latecomers if you use a waiting room
- help you communicate with students in breakout rooms
- Keep an eye on the chat feature to relay questions to you while you are lecturing or leading discussion
- Help you troubleshoot if any problems arise
- Check for discussion participation (but not evaluate the quality of responses)
- Help you with Canvas logistics and give you feedback on the usability of your Canvas materials
If you request an Online Classroom Assistant, please keep in mind that they are not a Writing Fellow, so are not prepared to provide feedback to students on writing. They're great students, but they haven't been trained as writing tutors.
Request an Online Classroom Assistant here. We will accept requests until November 30.